Putting On A Horse Rug
- Put on your horses head-collar and secure your horse safely.
- Fold your rug in half with the front half of the rug underneath the back half.
- Quietly go up to the near side of the horse and place the rug over the horses withers.
- Do up the front buckles (this will ensure that when you bring the rug over the horses hindquarters you wont bring it back too far).
- Gently bring the rug over the horses back and hindquarters, ensuring that it is level on both sides.
- Do up the cross-over surcingle by bringing up the strap that is nearest to the hind legs first, and attach it to the strap on the near side of the horse closest to the shoulder.
- Pick up the second strap nearest to the front legs and attach it to the strap nearest to the hind legs, ensuring that the straps are not twisted, but rather lying flat against the horse. The straps themselves should not be done up too tightly you should easily be able to fit your hand in-between the surcingle and the horses belly, however if it is too loose the rug will twist as the horse moves or rolls.
- Go to the leg strap on the offside of the horse and unclip the leg strap from its D ring and pass it around the inside of the horses offside leg bringing it between the two back legs and attach it to the D ring on the offside.
- Unclip the leg strap on the horses near side and pass it around the front of the leg in-between the back legs, and then pass the leg strap through the offside leg strap before attaching it to the near side D ring.
Your horse should now be safely and securely rugged up, and enjoying the care and attention that you bring as a well practised equestrian!