Show jumps come in all shapes, colours and sizes and are made up of three main categories which are Jump wings, Jump poles and Jump fillers. These three categories can be made of either traditional or modern materials.
Modern Show Jumps
Modern show jumps are made of pvc and are therefore very light and easy to carry, which is a great benefit when you are having to move and put up show jumps on a regular basis.
Jump Wings And Blocks
- Modern jump wings often have a great deal of scope to be used individually as both a spread fence and an upright, which eliminates the need for several wings to be used.
- Modern show jump wings have the unique ability to be linked together and by using one wing as a central point with several jumps leading away from it, therefore if you have four jump wings you can make three jumps in a tripod shape or in a zig zag style.
- Some jump blocks can also be used as fillers themselves adding some interest to a jumping session.
- By using block wings you can make a corner fence, which can be easily widened as your horse becomes more confidant.
- A single jump block, if appropriate can be used for style practice, there is nothing like trying to jump something small and narrow to make you accurate.
- Modern show jumps keep there shape and colour excellently and are very durable being able withstand the odd bump as well as rain and snow.
- Modern show jumps are easy to store as they can in many cases be stacked on top of each other and in other cases can be positioned close together to maximize storage space.
- Some modern jump wings will require cups which are available in shallow cups as well as deep cups.
- These are light and very easy to pick up and move around.
- They hold there colour and shape.
- Similar in size to traditional poles as well as being available in a short, style size length.
- They are long lasting and durable are not weakened by adverse weather conditions.
- Modern jump fillers such as planks, gates, floor stand fillers and hanging fillers are all available.
- The fillers are again durable and sturdy.
- Jump fillers look very smart as they hold their colour excellently well.
- Water trays are also available and they again hold their colour and shape as well as being long lasting.
Traditional Show Jumps
These are made of wood and can vary in shape, size and weight. Jump wings, poles and fillers are all available.
- These are traditionally in a A frame design, they have solid feet at the base and holes marked all the way up for height adjustment. They are very stable and are not easily knocked over.
- By using two pairs of jump wings a parallel fence can be made.
- When painted they are very smart and look good.
- They are best stored under cover to protect them from the wind, rain and extreme cold which can rot down the wood over the years.
- Jump wings can be painted any colour and so can be tailored to the individuals needs.
- Metal jump cups are fitted to the wings and can be deep, medium and flat in depth.
- Are available in both short, style length and full show jump length.
- They can be painted in any colour that suits and although the paint chips easily when knocked by the horse they can easily be repainted.
- Storage of poles needs to be under cover to help them to last longer by protecting them from weather conditions.
- Self standing jump fillers are strong and stay in place excellently.
- Planks are again sturdy in design and are hung off flat cups in the jump wings.
- Gates are smart in design and are also hung off flat cups in the jump wings.
- Hanging jump fillers are available and can be painted in colours to suit the individual.